Tuesday, December 30, 2008

A Mental Diet?

I received a voicemail yesterday from one of my dearest friends, Eric, back in Kansas City. He had mentioned to me last week a video I needed to see and then he brought up something really interesting and suggested I blog about it: the need for a Mental Diet.

If we are what we eat, we are definitely what we think. Being an athlete, I can attest to the need for a good diet if I want my body to perform at its best. I love food-the good and the bad-but ultimately know that it is a good diet that builds the very core of me--my cells--and fuels my body. So, now we consider that the same goes for our mental state. What we take in and process, our thoughts and attitude, has an infinitely profound affect on the course of our life. Prosperity, relationships, health, and the general path we take is all a product of our thoughts!

While this could be a conversation that envelopes into an entire book, I will merely touch on a few things:
1. The choices you make and attitude you have everyday will affect your future in a positive or negative way.
2. Absorb information that leads you in the direction you want for your life, blocking out that which leads you to nowhere.
3. Try to look at your thoughts objectively and separate yourself from impulse. Take your time to look at a big decision from multiple perspectives.
4. Force out negative thoughts. It could be a thought of disappointment, failure, condemnation, or ill-will. Think about why you're really having that negative thought, again, by being objective about the situation.
I received some valuable advice from this same person long, long ago- we cannot control other people, we can only control ourselves and our reactions to what other people do. You choose your attitude. The choice of being happy, fit and successful is yours alone. Thank you, Eric Williams, for being an amazing force in my life for so many years!

THE VIDEO: What an amazing display of the wild! Worth the 8 minutes.
Called "Battle at Kruger"... Lions vs. Water Buffalo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU8DDYz68kM

On the personal level:
Yeah, I had a bad date this weekend...it has turned out to be a comical event and a phrase has even been coined from it. I came home and posted a negative remark on my facebook. The response has been overwhelming! I've gotten some really funny emails, messages and comments resulting from a horribly negative statement. I pondered with a friend why I got so much feedback and her response was that it was because people could identify with the negative so much more than the positive. Wow! This is a strong remember why I write about being positive...no one is perfect, however it does everyone good to look at the bright side. My bright side is I never have to see the Soul Bag again! Have a fabulous day!

No comments:

Post a Comment