Sunday, January 18, 2009

You Awake?

Austin is lucky to have a great system of trails and greenbelts and the close proximity these gems are to the downtown area is amazing. I live on the Bouldin Creek greenbelt and truly appreciate the beauty of living downtown and seeing the skyline and being involved in the city's energy and yet still being surrounded by the quiet of nature.
Yesterday was a chance for Emma and I to explore some new trails on Barton Creek greenbelt that we'd never been on before. The trail was easy to access and there were a few people exiting at the base. As soon as we entered onto the new area, it became steep and rugged and I got very excited that we were going to get a good workout and perhaps some even better views. We climbed the steep hill, the trail really mellowed out and another thing happened--all the people disappeared. Among those treetops we found ourselves isolated in a very quiet part of the world and it was pleasant. Always up for adventure, I stepped off the beaten path and off the trails completely to explore my surroundings in a whole new way. Once I was climbing rocks, working my way through brush, under and over trees, and through creeks it became immediately apparent. My senses heightened. My awareness of danger increased. It was an amazing feeling. Simple really, but you become much more aware that there could be a snake underfoot or a tree branch ahead aimed right at your eye. Or those evil little thorns ready to scratch at your skin. Stepping off the path made me awake and alive and one other very important thing: in the moment.
What is something you can choose to do this week to take your own life off the beaten path? Step into the unknown--the exciting--into a world that makes sure you're completely awake and focused and in the now.

On the personal level:
I've decided to attend a Buddhist Temple in Austin. I've never been and I'd like to learn more about the religion and know what it's like to practice it. I agree with some of the Buddhist teachings. It's important for me to remember to slow down and listen, I think this learning opportunity can reinforce this for me. I wonder if the chants and alternative methods of practice will be something I embrace or am turned off by. I have so many questions and this is definitely a new realm.

No comments:

Post a Comment